Face of hope

Face of hope
Courtesy: TIffany Kay Photography

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Cranial Vault Reconstruction Night #2 - Sleep

Night #2 started off with a visit from my mom.  She is here to care for our other girls while Meagan is in the hospital, and so tonight, I had our sitter go stay with the girls so my mom could come down and see Meagan.   It was nice to have some time to talk with my mom, and tell her about everything going on with Meagan in person.  She got to spend some time chatting with me, and also got to hold Meagan's hand and talk to her.  Meagan really loved her visit from Nanny.





Nanny also brought lovely pictures our older girls made for Meagan.  We hung them on Meagan's crib to make her digs a little more cheerful.



Daddy spent some time with Meagan too because he had to go home finally.  He needed to get up for work, so he couldn't spend the night at the hospital again. He told Meagan he'd be back after work the next day to check up on her and make sure she was doing alright.



Night #2 was better for Meagan because she actually slept peacefully.   Her pain meds were under control, and her itchy head wrap was off, so she slept. And slept. And slept.  Matter of fact, she barely moved even when the lab techs came to draw blood.  

Around midnight, one of the nurses came in our "fish bowl" (what I called our room because it was all glass in the front, so I felt like we were being observed in a fish bowl).  She told us that they needed the big observation room for a new sick patient, and that Meagan would have to move to another room in the ICU.  So we made the trek with all our bags, balloons, and special prizes people had brought Meagan for her stay.  We got settled into our new room in the ICU and Meagan still slept. I decided to go ahead and get some sleep too since I had only slept around 2 1/2 hours total since Monday night.

Around 4am, I awoke to the sound of Meagan crying....she seemed hungry....so I picked her up and she nursed.  However, a few minutes later, we had a "milk volcano." She threw up every last drop she had just eaten.  All over her bed.  All over her pillow. And all over her lovely comfy gown (Sorry Claire! We will wash it and clean it all up just for you!)  So, for now we are still a "no go" on the eating.  We will keep trying based on her hunger cues, but, I'm not sure how much of it she will be able to hold down, so I'm not going to press the issue.  The last thing I want is a puking baby on top of everything else she's dealing with right now.   We'll see what today brings.

  

4 comments:

  1. Pain meds make lots of people pukey...hopefully that's all it is! So glad to hear her 2nd night was restful! Prayers for speedy healing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about the milk explosion!! You're right, that's the last thing she needs on top of everything else she is dealing with right now. But what wonderful news that she slept so well last night. Praying for her this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a friend of Susan Brough and I just wanted you to know that I am praying for your little Meagan and your family! My 7 month old went through open heart surgery 3 weeks ago and I know how hard it is to see your child go through something like this/ how tiring being in the hospital is but how comforting all the prayers from family and friends were to us during that time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete