Face of hope

Face of hope
Courtesy: TIffany Kay Photography

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Nervewracking night #2

Yesterday, I rested as much as I could.  I tried to take it easy after the events of the day prior, but I still didn't feel comfortable about Meagan.  She wasn't moving much - and normally, she is an absolutely NUTTY baby.  Finally yesterday evening, I ate dinner and waited. Still no movement. After the kids went to bed, I started to get worried. So I had my infamous Acai-Blueberry popsicles and some ice water.  Normally within minutes of having these popsicles, she is absolutely crazy inside. Dancing, kicking, spinning - whatever she can do, she does.

About 30 minutes went by and no movement. I felt uneasy so I had some more ice water and went upstairs to lay down on my side.  Another 30 minutes and I felt her once - but that was it.  I debated back and forth about whether I should call in or not - but finally decided I'd rather feel stupid 20 times over, especially at this point in the pregnancy, than ever delay and then regret not getting her checked later.

The doctor said to go ahead and come in for some more monitoring..etc.  I got to the hospital around 11:40pm.  The doctor on call from our practice met me at Triage and got me hooked up to the monitors.  It took her FOREVER .. again... to find Meagan's heartbeat. Nervewracking! Finally they found her but she was, again, in a strange position and it was very faint.  They had to press the monitor in pretty hard to get the reading to stay steady.  It was in the 120s. They told me every time I felt her move to record it on the monitor and so the waiting began.  After the first 30 minutes or so, I did feel her give me one little nudge, so I pressed the monitor cord.  I was having tightening in my stomach, but, nothing major, and her heartrate was still in the 120s but steady.

The doctor came back after a while and said that she looked good on the monitors but she wanted to go ahead and check me because of the tightening, and also have an ultrasound done so Meagan could have a BPP to see how she was doing inside.  The nurse finally came to wheel me down to the ultrasound room and the tech did a full profile of Meagan - all her measurements, brain measurements, head circumference, abdominal circumference, heart function, lung function, etc..

I went back up to triage afterwards and got the results.  The good news was that Meagan got an 8/8 on her BPP.  Basically that tells them she's doing ok inside for now - it has a 48 hour "guarantee" of reassurance... in other words, that "should" tell me she'll be ok for at least another 1-2 days until I have a repeat test.  The "surprising news" was how much Meagan has grown in just two weeks.

Two weeks ago, she was measuring on time everywhere in her body, except her head, of course.  And her head circumference was 35 weeks 5 days... so about 4 1/2 weeks ahead of her body at the time.  Last night, at 33 weeks, only two weeks since her last appointment, her abdomen is now measuring over a week behind, and her head circumference has jumped to 41 cm.  That is well over the head size of a 40 week full term baby.  Just to give you a reference point, an average 40 week full term newborn will have a head circumference of about 34.4cm....and here we are with her already at 41cm.  Her BPD (ear to ear measurement) has also jumped.  It was just under 9cm 2 weeks ago.  Now it is 11.7cm.  This measurement is important because if it gets much bigger, it could affect me having a "normal" c-section.  The incision may have to be larger or from a different angle to get her out if she goes much past 12cm.
No wonder I'm having on and off contractions. No wonder her movements have slowed some.  No wonder the two of us just seem "off" and uncomfortable.

The doctor also checked me, and I'm 1cm dilated already. I know it's a small number, however, I'm normally "that" woman that goes to the 38 or 39 week appointment hoping for some sort of progress or "sign" labor is coming and I'm usually not dilated at ALL by then - or maybe just a tiny bit.  So to be 1cm at 33 weeks pregnant is definitely different for me... but again, not surprising knowing all Meagan's new measurements..etc.

I am going to have to call our Specialist in the morning.  He wasn't even going to see me until almost 2 weeks from now - but with how I'm feeling, how my contractions come and go, and Meagan's jump in growth, I feel they need to know what went on this weekend.  I simply cannot imagine with her head already at 41 cm going another 5 1/2 WEEKS until they deliver her!  And with all my loose ends (4 kids to be cared for, husband's work being quite a distance from the house..etc.), I really don't want to just wait it out and then have my contractions pick up... or have my water break because the pressure becomes too much.  Also, if they do have to take her a little earlier, I don't want to go into that unprepared.  If they think earlier will be better at this point, I definitely want to have steroid shots set up so we can help her lungs along as much as possible..etc. 
Quite an interesting and eventful weekend. I will say, I trust that mommy "gut" feeling like no other.  I just felt she needed a re-check, and, I was right.  Before I left for the hospital, I shot a quick prayer up to St. Gianna and said "Please, if Meagan is uncomfortable give me something - a sign, more contractions, new measurements.. something so I can talk to the doctors about doing what is best for Meagan and getting her here earlier."   And her ultrasound definitely gave me that information.  Now time to see what the Peri says tomorrow and go from there. 

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear what your peri says! Prayers!