Face of hope

Face of hope
Courtesy: TIffany Kay Photography

Monday, July 18, 2011

27 weeks Update

We returned to the Perinatologist today for our 27 week scan.  The tech we had was very nice - she spent a lot of time on the ultrasound and got lots of good pictures.  This was good since last time Meagan was laying to the side and they couldn't look at "exactly" what they wanted.  They said her midbrain seemed to be functioning well still, which is always reassuring because all her involuntary movements (heartbeat, breathing..etc.) are controlled from this point.  He didn't take ventricle measurements that I know of.. if they did, he didn't tell me when I asked.  I may call back to double check.  I realize it won't change anything at this point, but, I'm an information junkie...information helps my peace of mind.  So if he did take measurements, I want to know them.  The one measurement that was on her ultrasound that I did see was her remaining tissue measurement.  It said "6.6mm"  Last time it was 9mm so I don't know how much worse this is.  But it's kind of scary to see.

He was able to get head circumference measurements.  As of right now, her body is right on target, at 27 weeks gestation .... her head though is at a strong 29 weeks measuring in the 95th% of a 29 week old baby.  So we are starting to see the discrepency between her actual age and her head measurement. 
The tech we had today was very very nice.  She was 1 of 4 girls herself... and has 3 girls of her own now. She talked to us a lot and after finishing all Meagan's measurements and checking everything she was supposed to check, she asked us if we'd mind if she played around a little with the 4d ultrasound. Of course we said "Go ahead!" So for a few minutes, we got to watch Meagan in 4d and get a few really cute pictures of her face.  It was a nice treat!

The Perinatologist said we come back in 4 weeks again for another fluid check and ultrasound.  He said 38 weeks still looks great for delivery and agreed with my OB that we do it then by csection. 

He seemed much more "at ease" today than ever before.  In previous visits, he was very quiet, "doom and gloom" and very negative, in my opinion. Today, it seemed as though, maybe, we're helping him turn a corner a little bit with the Hydro. I've been telling him for weeks about how so much is just unknown so why focus negatively (when faced with termination)... I've been telling him about wonderful families we've talked to who have a wide variety of kids with Hydro - all different outcomes, but all absolutely gorgeous and wonderful children ... I've been telling him we'll always fight for our daughter. Today,he started talking about great things he'd read, how so much is unknown, how Hydro is such a 'toss up' (a term I'd NEVER heard him use),  and was very 'uplifting' when he talked to us about delivery and meeting our little girl.  It was almost as if he'd really been listening to all I'd been saying to him in the last several visits and was now letting some of it 'soak in' .... so maybe this is another reason for this whole experience. Perhaps the next family who comes in dealing with a Hydro pregnancy will get a little better feedback from him from the start.  If this is the case, then, standing my ground on things with him has definitely been worth it. And Meagan is already touching people's lives before she is even in my arms.

Meagan - you are doing great! Keep it up girl.. only 11 weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment