Face of hope

Face of hope
Courtesy: TIffany Kay Photography

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I Knew It

So I ordered Meagan's full records from her Neurology practice.  After having several conversations with them where I kept getting bits of inaccurate information, I decided to pull her records so we had the freedom to look into other practices.  I was reading through Meagan's EEG reports, and found something very interesting.

The Neurology office had reported to us she was having multifocal tonic/clonic seizures.  Now, what did I know.. but.. I just didn't think that sounded "exactly" right... because while Meagan was definitely seizing, she was nowhere near having what is also referred to as a "grand mal" seizures... in layman's terms.. the typical "as seen on TV" seizure that is what one typically thinks of when hearing the word "seizure."  But I had put that to rest because the only thing that mattered was that #1 - I knew she was having seizures... and #2 - treating those accordingly.

In the EEG report, however, it said: Epileptiform activity consisting of sharp waves in the left posterior temporal region.  Discharges sometimes activated by sleep.  These findings suggest epileptic activity of a partial nature and correlate to seizures of a partial classification.

In other words, Meagan is having partial seizures, not tonic/clonic seizures.  Based on what Meagan does clinically, she has both simple and complex partials.  For more information on what partial seizures are, click here: http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/aboutepilepsy/seizures/partialseizures/index.cfm?gclid=CJLfgrz0-60CFY9W7AodoFCiQQ

I kind of already "knew" this because what she does clinically is SO much like a partial seizure, that was the first thing that popped in my mind.  So now I"m glad I actually have the official information confirming that thought. 

I guess the lesson is - always order the records and read for yourself. Grrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment