Finally we talked about Meagan's head configuration and her overlapping sutures. Unfortunately, Meagan's coronal and sagittal sutures have fused, and the metopic suture is also completely fused. Dr. R said that surgery is necessary due to her secondary synostosis. (Read about the surgery here: http://www.pedisurg.com/pteduc/craniosynostosis.htm) The scan even showed where her shunt catheter is now pushed across the midline, and we don't want the pressure of the fused skull to have any chance of moving or dislodging it. Dr. R said there was no need to rush into surgery next week, but he suggested because of Meagan's potential brain growth, and the fact that more than one area is already fused, we move sooner than later to prevent any stalling of progress. He also said since she will need it done, he prefers we do it younger than letting her get older because the bones will be softer to work with now, and there will be less blood vessel involvement under the skull bones the younger she is. This was no "surprise" for us but I wasn't 100% her bones had actually fused. After her CT today, of course I was sure. Dr. R is VERY conservative when recommending anything invasive for Meagan, though, and because she is doing well, has always preferred a wait and see approach to other issues she has had. Another Neurosurgeon could have easily operated on her a few times now, and he has avoided that. So for him to explain the pros and cons of doing the synostosis surgery now versus later, and have him conclude we not wait, made me know it is a worthy recommondation. We trust him 100% with Meagan's care, and so surgery will be scheduled for this Fall.
We are going to meet with the pediatric craniofacial plastic surgeon this month to talk about Meagan's case and make a plan, and then see Dr. R again in August to finalize surgery plans. There is no "final date" as of yet, but it will probably be in September.
In the meantime, we will see how she tolerates this new shunt setting, and make plans to get care ready for our other kids while Meagan is in the hospital this Fall. It is a little scary thinking about the surgery coming up and how involved it is, but, it is also scary to think about her brain growth being restricted by her skull fusing too small. If her shunt position, or brain growth were not at all in question or being affected by her skull, we would leave it be and decide to decline surgery. After going over all the details today, we know this surgery will give her brain more opportunity at continuing to "fluff out" and keep her shunt catheter from being pushed on. We want Meagan to have the best life she can possibly have, and and moving forward with this, while not the 'ideal' situation, is the best thing we can do in this situation to help her reach her full potential.