All of Meagan's GI studies came back completely normal. This is great because it means she has no trouble digesting her food, no reflux, and all her bloodwork and organs and enzymes that have to do with digestion are functioning perfectly. It's "bad" because it only offers another exclusion for her behavior and vomiting instead of a definite answer. But that's ok because narrowing down by exclusion is important as well. I honestly wasn't surprised - based on the lack of pattern as related to food and her behavior with her head before her vomiting, I doubted it was GI at the root of the cause - but still was one that had to be ruled out.
Meagan had her MRI yesterday morning. They wanted to do the first part of the MRI and then add contrast, which would highlight certain things in the brain including CSF flow, which would be important to see in Meagan. She was in the scan about 40 minutes when they nurse came and said they were going to have to pull her out because she was having trouble breathing with the sedation. This was strange to me because she has had two previous sedated MRI's and several surgeries with anesthesia and had no problems. They brought her into the room and she wasn't well. The doctor was confused though because although she was having trouble, she sounded pretty clear in her lungs. The nurse went ahead and gave her an Albuterol treatment and put her on oxygen. Within about 35 minutes, Meagan looked less pale and started upping her sats (how well she is saturating oxygen). It was disappointing because of course I dont' want her feeling badly, and also the scan had to be stopped before the contrast which was an important part for us to see. Once she was stable we headed back to the room and waited to see what the plan was.
So that's where we stand with the Megs. We truly thank everyone who has been praying for us and offering help in so many ways - from emotional, to helping with the kids, to financial, to just knowing you are there if we need you. I would ask as crazy as it sounds to please pray we find a definitive answer somewhere - on the MRI or on the shunt. The "non answer" when you have a symptomatic kid is no fun. Especially being that her problems are episodic in nature, the lack of pattern, time of day, or knowing when she will have pain and vomit again is very frustrating.
We will see what tomorrow brings and hopefully we will have a little more clarity as to the direction we are heading. I really trust Dr. R with Meagan - I know he is just as frustrated as I am with no definitive cause of all this - but I know just like always he will take care of her as best he can. We are very blessed to have such an amazing doctor be in charge of Meagan's long term care. We appreciate him so much and how he listens to and works with parents. It really helps the process of working through issues, especially random ones like this, so much easier.